Saturday, July 12, 2014

REST IN TEMPO

The Haden Family Band, circa 1939
(Little Charlie is sitting on piano)

CARL HADEN: Honey, say good morning to all the little boys and girls. Say hello, all you little boys and girls.

"LITTLE COWBOY CHARLIE" HADEN: (2 years old) Hi.

CARL HADEN: Say "I'm just fine."

LITTLE COWBOY CHARLIE: I'm just fine.

CARL HADEN: Just fine, and say "I've got a brand new song to sing for you this morning."

LITTLE COWBOY CHARLIE: I've got a brand new song to sing.

CARL HADEN: "This morning."

LITTLE COWBOY CHARLIE: This morning.

CARL HADEN: There you are. All right. Little Charlie has had so many many requests to sing that dandy little song, "Row Us Over the Tide," and then Momma's going to take him out and get his big bottle of soda pop. So you sing real loud and nice here and a nice yodel. Allright.

LITTLE COWBOY CHARLIE: (Singing) 'Row us over the tide. Row us over the tide. Row us over the tide.'

CARL HADEN: Yodel round.

LITTLE COWBOY CHARLIE: (Yodeling) 'Olay-yeee-ooo, olay-yeee-ooo-eee'

[From 1939 Haden Family Radio Broadcast]



"In California, it's very difficult to get in tune because of the climate. When I was two years old and singing on the radio with my family, my dad kept a switch on the wall. He never used it, but he always told me, 'Charlie, don't ever go flat or go sharp.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment